Atheists in Foxholes News 9 Mar 2012
MAAF has selected 47 recent articles of interest in the areas of atheism & humanism in the military, society, and government, both in the US and internationally. This month will see the Reason Rally and Rock Beyond Belief. Recent news had a wide range of activities, including featuring of Naval Academy Midshipment, the MAAF care package program, efforts by MAAF to gain official recognition of humanism, and further growth of the MAAF network.
Several atheists were highlighted in the news, including Richard Dawkins (in a “tale of the tape” with the Archbishop), Penn and Emily Jillette in a family review, and an atheist whose daughter is still trying to shoehorn him into her god’s heaven.
Pennsylvania was a hotbed with two stories. The state legislature’s “year of the Bible” inspired atheists to post some less savory Bible verses on billboards. An atheist prading as Mohammed was assaulted and the judge is on record dismissing the case as assault justified due to blasphemy.
Internationally, the UK saw a huge furor over city council prayers. The National Secular Society secured a court ruling banning the practice, and many local councils have vowed to continue the practice.
Atheists & Humanists in the Military
Atheists & Humanist Community
Atheists & Humanists in the News
Christian Military Agenda
Secular vs religious government.
- American Humanist Association victory: Prayer banner removed from school
- Tactics to put religion in public schools
- Atheist Billboard to Protest Pennsylvania’s ‘Year of the Bible’, Christian Post
- PA judge punishes atheist for blasphemy: Free Speech Folly, Insulting Islam grounds for beating, Zombie Muhammad Denied US Justice, court recording goes viral (CBS), dismissal makes waves (CNN), Outrage against assult dismissal
- What Secular Tyranny?, Harvard Crimson
- Cecil Bothwell, atheist candidate, comes to Franklin
- UK National Secular Society victory: Council prayers are ruled illegal, Councils defiant on prayer ruling: Cardiff, Chichester, Bideford, Norfolk, West Lancs, Crowborough, Fareham, Worthing, Southend, Rochford and Castle Point, Louth Town, Kettering and Wellingborough, Rabbis
- UK: Bishops fight to save NHS chaplains
- Atheist change nativity stranglehold on public spaces
- Playing to the pews – voting by religion
International atheism and humanism